Every relationship we have, even if it does not ending in martial bliss, can always be looked upon as a learning experience. Through the trial and error process, I have discovered many personal tips that help constitute what makes a fantastic girlfriend. The old adage of “If you treat your man right he will not stray” may no longer hold. For some men, straying is in their genes and you really can’t do anything about it, nor do you want to try to rehabilitate this type of boyfriend. Cut and run for these. As for the others, who may exhibit a glimmer of hope, the following reminders may be useful.
1. Do not turn into a psycho woman if you see him looking or talking to another female. Remember it is in a man’s nature to look. If he doesn’t touch and you don’t get jealous, it will keep him wanting you more. He will then work harder to keep your relationship going. This goes along with nagging. When you continuously nag it will only annoy him more and then the nagging can turn into resentment. If you ask him to do something for you, do it once and then be patient. The screaming approach has never worked for anyone I have ever met.
2. Fatal Attraction calling. Calling him over and over makes it look like you have nothing else going on in your life and thus are more needy then independent. Also, don’t stalk him by any social media sites. That never goes down well either.
3. Don’t turn into a bi-otch when he wants to go out with his friends. Instead, embrace it. Give him something to remember you by before he leaves and then tell him to have a wonderful time.
4. Cooking. You do not have to be a gourmet chef, but if you have a few exciting and hardy recipes in your repertoire, then you will look even better. This is especially useful when he has his friends around. Give them their guy time and make food. If cooking is not an option for you, have a great array of take-away menus at your disposal. If you can cook something easy yet authentic, it looks more intriguing and impressive.
5. Never run out of beer when he comes to see you. A mediocre girlfriend will go out and buy beer once he comes over, but a fantastic girlfriend will have the beer already waiting.
6. Keep making the effort. Even if you two have been together for a year don’t start dressing like a slob and all of a sudden put on an abundance of weight. Of course women can tend to yo-yo especially after the holidays, but if you gain too much as superficial as it sounds, he is not going to be happy. Try to maintain the way you were when you met him. Or better yourself because you are so happy to be with this man that you love to look good for him. Do dress up at least once in a while. He will be pleasantly surprised and turned on more. More importantly, you want to be healthy for yourself.
7. Show appreciation when your man makes the effort. Its good for you and for him. Never assume or expect.
8. The cave. There are times when a man comes home in a bad mood and does not want to talk. Do not push him. Simply ask if anything is wrong. If he says he is fine and just wants to watch football, leave him be. When he wants to talk he will and all you have to do is listen.
9. Wake up with a smile. Men love a positive woman that they can wake up to in the morning with the glass being half full instead of half empty. What will score you more points is to let him lie in while you make breakfast or serve him coffee in bed.
10. Sex. I could not talk about my experience in dating with out bringing up the sexual part too. Yes, sex is not the most important of a relationship but it sure can be important. When your relationship is comfortable, you do not need to be shy in the sack. Be comfortable with your body. He obviously loves you for the way you are and doesn’t want to date anyone else. Keep the lights on, and don’t hide your bulge if you have one. You are feminine.
11. Surprise him. You can leave a sweet note in his jacket or under his pillow. Maybe you know he has hard a hard day ahead and you order his favorite take out to be sent to his work.
12. Motivate your man. Your enthusiasm and passion to drive him to fulfill his goals will make him realize that not only are you independent but someone he wants to wake up to everyday.
13. Learn his language. When he’s thirsty he’s thirsty. When he says yes he means yes and not no. When he says he’s hungry, well you better get some food in his stomach soon. Also note men don’t like to walk around when they are hungry looking for a restaurant as us women will do.
14. Do not try and change your boyfriend. Trying to create this ideal image of the perfect man is not only going to create a strain on you but also on him. He is who he is. Take it or leave it.
15. Don’t get drunk and out of control. As fun as you may have with your friends at times, men don’t like to see their girlfriends trashed.